Bin Khamis General Trading LLC has been operating in the UAE for the last 10 years as a general distribution company however the management team has taken a strategic decision in 2016 to now focus on and develop new technologies that will assist business across the region to become more energy efficient and more cost effective.
In order to achieve the specific objectives of clean power within the industrial & Commercial premises, reduce cost, and improve the overall effectiveness of power infrastructures. Bin Khamis has decided to partner with Basic Power Inc., a manufacturer of a revolutionary energy management system that is based upon an electromagnetic core. The system utilizes patent pending, twin toroidal power quality transformer technology to achieve its goal.
Common Power Quality Issues
Following are the common power quality issues arising in a facility:
- Voltage dips and swells: Caused by large loads starting up or shutting down. Damages computers and electronic controls.
- Harmonics distortion: Corrupted electrical waveforms, seen in the current frequency cycle. Causes heat-related problems in motors and transformers, plus problems with circuit breakers, fuses and relays.
- Voltage unbalance: In 3 phase systems, when voltage between phases differs by more than 2%, motors and transformers overheat.
- Flicker: Cyclical voltage dips cause lights to flicker.
- Transients: These brief, sharp voltage increases are caused by equipment switching on/off, capacitor switching, and lightning, and can lock up computers, burn out circuit boards, and damage electrical insulationThe purpose of power quality is to assess whether the power in your facility is pure enough to reliably support the required loads at optimum performance and at a reasonable price per kWh. Power disturbances can involve voltage, current or other parameters and typically manifest as dips, swells, harmonic distortion, unbalance, flicker, transients, and additional power factor or peak demand fees on monthly utility bills.
More than 80 percent of all power quality problems originate within your facility.
Common culprits are:
- Large equipment starting-up or shutting down
- Improper wiring and grounding
- Overloaded circuits
Less than 20 percent of power problems originate with the utility transmission and distribution system. Lightning strikes, equipment failure, accidents, and weather conditions all adversely affect the utility. Neighboring businesses and normal operation of utility equipment can also affect the quality of power delivered to your facility.
How does the Basic Power system (The BPU™ ) work?
- The BPU™ (Basic Power Unit) senses and corrects power quality issues in the electrical service arising from the utility supplied electrical service and power quality issues created within your building to make your electrical power very efficient.
- The BPU™ clips the energy spikes that are generated when equipment is switched to reduce your “Peak Demand” which your utility company uses as a benchmark rate when billing you.
- The BPU™ eliminates any harmonic distortion within your electrical service and recycles this energy back into useful power.
- The BPU™ balances all the electrical phases and reduces the kW where it is too high or too low on a particular phase.
- The BPU™ suppresses sags and surges and optimizes the electrical voltage entering your building.
The end result is a reduction in your energy consumption in excess of 11%.
Benefits of Basic power Inc. – All in One Box
- kWh reduction
- kW spike clipping
- Voltage optimization
- Harmonic filtration
- Phase Balancing
- Power Factor correction
- Sag & Surge mitigation
- Surge (Lightning) Suppression
- Reduced maintenance cost
- Improved life expectancy of equipment
- 5 – year warranty
- Guaranteed savings
The BPU™ is installed in parallel, connected to a breaker on a mains or sub-panel with no disruption to your electrical service or operation.
How do we do Measurement & Verification of Savings
We follow the International Performance Measurement & Verification Protocol (IPMVP) to prove our savings. Energy consumption is recorded using Class A utility grade meter with BPU switched Off and another set of readings is recorded with BPU switched On. Comparing the two set of data will give the percent of savings achieved.