F.A.Q – Frequently Asked Questions
Here on this page you will find our F.A.Q (Frequently Asked Questions) that get asked. We find these are the most common questions asked.
How does the BPU™ system reduce KW and KWH?
The BPU™ improves the poor power quality caused by poor harmonics, unbalanced phases, surges, and poor power factor and stores this wasted energy in the iterative transformer controller. The iterative transformer is able to capture and store and then recharge the capacitors that become the least resistive circuit. Thus, the loads will draw from the BPU™ first and then from the utility meter thereby reducing the kilowatts consumed. The patented electromagnetic theory practiced in the BPU™ iterative transformer provides for the storage and recharging of the capacitors.
Is the BPU™ system simply a power factor correction system?
No. The BPU™ provides both power factor correction and kWh/demand reduction. The design balance that Basic Power reached provides power factor correction but not to the detriment of demand reduction.
What savings will the BPU™ system provide? How can you distribute the BPU™ reduction of 11% in the kWh for the following at distribution level/service mains (How much saving is associated with harmonics, phase balancing, voltage optimization, power factor correction, etc.)?
- Phase Imbalance some impact
- Harmonics filtering / Recycling first highest reduction comes from harmonic mitigation. Harmonics affect the voltage and current and the BPU™ will auto adjust keeping them in phase with a reaction time of 1 millisecond per cycle.
- Voltage optimization some impact
- Power Factor improvement second greatest impact
- Surges & Transients close third depending on demand billing and the type of equipment being operated
The main point is that the BPU™ auto-senses what is occurring in the building and adjusts the magnetic reactor to respond in a millisecond per cycle to the facility conditions. All of the conditions noted above created inefficiency in delivering good power quality and the BPU™ is able to sense and adjust to varying power quality.
If we have more than one transformer / main panel board, how many BPU™ system do we need?
- See attached specification sheet. One or more BPU™s can be installed on a single panel board, and/or sub-panel(s) and/or equipment. The key is to analyze the facility and that is why we use a Dranetz power meter to gather the important metrics. The data you have provided to us for review contains the relevant metrics. Then a site survey needs to be taken to better understand the operation of the facility such as type of equipment, lighting, duty cycles, tie-breaker or not, etc. See attached spec sheet. Based on this information, we can determine the appropriate number and sizes of BPU™s needed to do the job and where they need to be installed. That is why we like to look at data and talk with the facility electrician and/or engineer to better understand what consumes the power in the facility, or the specific type of issues the facility or equipment may have. Our objective is to solve the customers’ problems whether it is high-energy costs, voltage surges and sags, or something else.
What is the effect of BPU™ system on DC loads?
The BPU™ will clean up the noise from the rectifier/reactor creating the DC.
Does the BPU™ system consume power?
No and we have proven it in various ways. The BPU™s magnetic core acts more like a small generator.
Can the BPU™ system be used for power generating station like Independent power plants?
Limited to 480 volt circuits at this point although research has been done higher voltage circuits up to 1,400V.
Designing of BPU™ system would base on measured load or maximum load of transformer?
The specification sheet shows the design values. The high level analysis involves gathering the following data: (1) voltage, (2) estimated kWh per month, (3) range of running amps, and (4) power factor.
How many BPU™ system required for 5 transformer running parallel in case of separated by Bus coupler
The first step in each case is to determine which BPU™ model(s) are needed for the application based on the parameters. A BPU™ must be installed on each transformer/panel. However, the total situation needs to be assessed so that the facility is not provided with more than is needed. This should not affect the overall cost of the installation.
The first step above is followed without consideration for the coupler being present.
If the primary side of transformer is receiving 420 volts can the BPU™ system reduce it to 415 Volts on the secondary side or any other desire value? Can The BPU™ system increase the voltage in the secondary side of transformer?
The BPU™ is not designed to step down voltage or step up voltage, but it will balance the phases.
What is the voltage range for each BPU™ that it can stabilize?
In an unbalanced situation, Basic Power has seen the BPU™ balance up to 20 volts.
What type of harmonics can a BPU™ system filter?
Voltage and current on the secondary side.
Does The BPU™ system filter harmonics from incoming HT side or LT side? Also, can the BPU™ system arrest harmonics if they are generated at load centers?
Yes, the BPU™ will clean up the harmonics on the secondary side.
What are the basic principles adopted to filter/eliminate harmonics and type of filter used in BPU™ system?
The BPU™ removes the odd and even harmonics around 300 and moves some harmonics up to 3,000. Mitigating the lower harmonics and maintaining higher harmonics is beneficial for the BPU™.
If anything happens to the BPU™ system will we lose operation time?
No. The BPU™ has built in protection due to the separate breaker in the panel and the breaker contained within the larger C models. Also, the BPU™ can be installed in parallel to a separate breaker in the panel without shutting down power to the facility.
Sometimes a Client doesn’t have any data for size Cables and Transformer, or nameplate data. What are the minimum essential information required to proposed them a comprehensive solution?
The key parameters necessary to carry on the conversation are voltage, kWh/month, range of running/max amps, and power factor. We can assess fairly well with this limited data.
How will we take into account the winter load in the summer season, with our summer load in winter season, for proper designing and load calculation for BPU™ system?
Of course this will occur and typically the BPU™ ranges provided will handle these situations. There are other ways to address fluctuations which involves installing multiple, smaller BPU™s to gain the most effective approach. That is why having access to an electrician or engineer who understands power is very important.
How does the BPU™ system reduce KW and KWH?
The BPU™ improves the poor power quality caused by harmonic distortion, unbalanced phases, surges, and poor power factor. Our Magtori-2 Power Quality Transformers sense and then capture any electrical energy that has been distorted from the fundamental sinusoidal wave that represents usable electrical power. This recycled electrical energy is then stored and as the BPU™ is designed to be the least resistive circuit your equipment will draw from the BPU™ first and then from the utility meter thereby reducing the kilowatts consumed. The BPU™ is also designed to clip demand spikes and therefore lower the maximum peak at which the utility charges you. Other functions of the BPU™ also result in lower kWh consumption such as phase balancing.
What proportion of the 11% kWh savings can be attributed to the various power quality solutions within the BPU™ technology?
Does the BPU™ system consume power?
Our units do represent an electrical load but as the BPU™s magnetic core acts like a generator that load is not registered at the utility meter or on a power quality analyzer. We love showing this surprising effect during our installation.
#1: Can the BPU™ system be used in large in large consuming power in the range of 10MW and above? #2: Can BPU™ system be used in high voltage applications? What voltage rating can BPU™ system be designed for? #3: 1,400V. What is the smallest size of the BPU™ system that is and beneficial for saving point of view?
- Not at this time.
- Limited to 480 volt circuits at this point although research has been done at higher voltages up to 1,400V.
- See attached specification sheet. Basic Power is able to deliver 120V single phase; 208V 3-P; 380V 3-P; and 480 3-P. To handle the various kWh range of uses, multiple 2 units may need to be installed in parallel in the breaker panel if necessary. Also, a BPU™ could be installed on the main panel and other smaller units installed on sub- panels or specific equipment. In other words, multiple BPU™s can be installed and, through the auto-sensing feature, they will work in conjunction to improve power quality reducing kWh. Each unit must have a separate circuit breaker to hook into.
Can the BPU™ system specifically design for particular Motor or compressor as a inverter does, and actively reduce Current?
- Yes, in some cases kWh reduction is not the customer’s problem. We installed two C-208 models in a garage door manufacturing company in August 2014 due to voltage sags knocking out sensitive control equipment causing production delays and repair costs. We are installing a I-480 model this month at a Medical Center on a problem boiler.
Current imbalance slandered. How much imbalance is allowed if our client is having 7% imbalance? How much will the BPU™ system further reduce it? Voltage imbalance slandered. How much imbalance is allowed if our client is having 3% imbalance? How much will the BPU™ system further reduce it?
The BPU™ has impacted imbalances up to 20%.
Voltage Harmonics VTHD slandered. How much voltage harmonics are allowed if our client is having 3% VTHD how much will the BPU™ system further reduce it?
The BPU™ typically reduces current harmonics to less than 3%.
What will be the standard for voltage unbalance at main LT?
The BPU™ typically reduces voltages imbalances to within 1%.